Standon Calling 2017
Have you ever been to a festival? It’s Glastonbury weekend and I just love watching the coverage on the TV and have wanted to go for so many year, alas never made it, the tickets always go within 2 minutes and I missed out on working there when I was at EE. Then aged 39 along came Standon Calling. I like to think it’s a bit like Glastonbury on a smaller more intimate level. I went along last year for the whole weekend with the family and had such an amazing time. We have been invited back again this year and it’s looking even better. I cannot wait.
Standon Calling is held in a few large fields in Standon village, Hertfordshire, not far from the town Ware. Quick to get to from Liverpool Street in London and most convenient for me as I live 20 minutes away. The doors (gates!) open on a Thursday, with most of the entertainment starting on the Friday.
The headliners are totes amazing, I write this whilst listening to Orbital (I cannot wait, did I say that!). Grace Jones (!!!!), like so excited about seeing her, Clean Bandit, Orbital, Editors, Slaves, KT Tunstall , Laura Mvula…the list goes on and on. I am also very excited about the fancy dress, the theme this year is enchanted forest. I am thinking little red riding hood (home made) with my new festival wellies that Aldi kindly gifted me😊
Just been for a lovely 2 hr/4mile walk through the woods and corn fields with the boys to try out my new wellies. Really impressed with these from Aldi. £12.99 and available in store now along with all sorts of camping beauties. Pop up tents, inflatable chairs, camping lights. They come with handing elasticated bands for storage and a bag to keep them in. Great festival wear. Or field walking wear🌻😂 . . . . . . #aldiuk #festivalwear #wellies #shortwellies #countryside #fieldofcorn #navypinkwellies #aldiwellies #comfywellington #bootea #wellingtonboots #outdoorwear #walkingboots #aldiboots #ad #modelling
Last year we camped on the Friday and Saturday nights, hubby wasn’t so keen on camping, but the kids loved it. This year my buddy Neilboy is coming instead of hubby and the boys are going to come in the daytime to soak up the atmosphere. They can then be picked up at 6/7pm-ish to leave Neil and I to enjoy the evening activities and have a few responsible drinks. We can crash in the tent late! Aldi have most kindly sent me a tent, a tent mat and 2 sleeping bags. They have the most amazing range available in store right now, and online, check it out here.
Learnings from last year
- Don’t pack so much stuff. We literally had a whole Smax car full of stuff. Tent, sofa, hammock, airbeds, duvets, food, drink. It was excessive. And so much hard work getting the stuff from the car to the family camping area. I think that was the bit hubby didn’t enjoy!
- But do take food. The food in the festival area is amazing but it’s expensive, as are the drinks. So why not stash some food in the camping area with drink and sit and chill there with some nibbles and a bottle of cider or two. I know that’s what we’ll be doing.
- Take a bikini or trunks. The swimming pool area is beyond cool. And the wellbeing area has hot tubs. I am definitely going in them this year.
- Make time for the wellbeing area which is at the top of the hill, really near the family camping area. There is yoga, meditation and all sort of mindfulness activities. I want to spend many hours here.
- Take something to sit on in the festival area. Lots of people had these long blow up sofa things, £20 on Amazon, thank you very much ordered!
- Don’t take the kids to the late music acts, we were at the front of the stage for Jess Glynne, but the boys fell asleep 15 minutes before she started at 10:15pm. Gutted. We listened to her on the walk back to the tent, she was amazing!
- Plan your weekend, the acts you want to see, the activities you want to do. There is so much going on and you wouldn’t want to miss out on the fab stuff. From the karaoke competition (I am so doing this this year) to the glitter stand to the le bun bottomless brunch.
See you there!
Take a look at my review from last year for all the gossip, the good and the bad, and click here to get your tickets for Standon Calling. I will see you there, look out for the red riding hood with glitter everywhere!!
This is a collaborative post, I will be receiving my tickets as a gift.