I have talked about this subject in the past…I have urged you all to swop at least once a year. But do I follow my own advice? Well I try to…but maybe not this time, I could offer excuses of lack of time and the house extension. But no I could have done this earlier…and I havn’t.
Alas bill shock time. We had our first bill from Npower about 6 weeks ago, the first since swopping energy providers Jan 2013 months ago (!!). Cheeky company I hear you say..it came with an apology for the time its taken to bill me along with a nasty complicated letter containing 3 different bills and a statement telling me I owed them £600. I re-read and read again the bill, surely not correct, but it appears the £56 per month I was paying for gas and electricity together was not enough. Especially after we increased the size of the house with our recent extension. Im annoyed no 1 that they have taken so long to tell me and no 2, that we have spent so much money on something pretty boring like gas/electricity.
They have estimated the new bill should be double the old. I’m not having this, so here are the steps I have taken. This whole process took me 15 minutes, including finding the bill:-)
1) Worked out my average annual usage. Npower are quoting that we use 3649 KWh of electricity at £621 and 10,409 KWh of gas at £537. Total cost of £1,158.
2) I’ve gone to www.uswitch.com to work out who is the best energy provider for us. Click on the compare gas & electricity button at the top of the homepage. Firstly enter your post code, email address and mobile number. Then answer some simple questions including your usage as I have written in point 1, but use your own bill;-). And uswitch will find a better deal for you.
3) My comparison has given me the following top 3 deals
First Utility Fixed rate for 15 months will save me…..£249 per year!!!
or Ovo Energy fixed rate will save me £230 per year
or Flow energy fixed for 16 months will save me £219 per year….
4) BEFORE you click on swop…check out the cash back options on http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/lynnbeattie
First utility cash back of £42
Ovo Energy and Flow nothing.
5) Decision made, I’m swopping to First Utility but buying it through Topcashback. Total cash saved £249 plus £42 cashback = £291!!!! RESULT.
6) It took me maybe another 5 mins to fill in my details on the First Utility website and they will do everything to swop over energy providers.
Go on, everyone have a go. Pull out your annual usage, plug them into Uswitch. Whats the harm..you could save £291 like I’ve just done.