There is currently outcry on my local Facebook items for sale page. Our school has decided to have a history day and all children have been asked to come into school dressed in various historical outfits, things like Roman, Victorian, Tudor etc. Lots of people are either stressing about school fancy dress costumes or on a boycott.
I say do what you want, but don’t stress and waste a load of money on Amazon getting an expensive outfit. There are loads of things that the school asks us to do that cost money, that I get around by chosing a cheaper alternative, Ive done well with boys in Yr 4,2 and preschool.
How and where to save!
- School uniform – I do not buy the listed items from the school or from the uniform website, I get everything much as I can from supermarkets. Polo Shirt 2 pack for £3 or school badge polo short for £5. Hmmm easy decision.
- School shoes – £20 Black Trainers from sports-direct. Way cheaper than Clarks!
- PE Kit – I also buy plain T-shirt and back shorts from Tesco, no badged up stuff for me.
- Nativity Angel outfit. I have had this twice now….Josh will do the same as Dylan did, England football kit with tinsel wrapped around waist.
- World Book Day – last year I cut a tabard out of felt (£3) and tied some curtain rope around waist. Sword and Shield from toy box = Sir Charlie Stinky Socks for Dylan. Josh was a west ham football player;-)
- Cake sales – I don’t really take part any more, shock horror. I have done a few in my time, and have spent £5 on ingredients for the cakes to be sold for £3.
- Historical Day – Romans – Old Bed Sheet and safety pins.
- Historical Day – Victorian – Jean and a shirt.
- Aztec Day Fancy Dress – T-shirt from Primark, made into dress £3.
- Aztec Temple Make it- Lego
- Shepherd – Pillow case with holes for arms, Tea towel on head secured with pair of natural tights.
I have exhausted my memory of things I have maybe paid for/been asked to make. I think the important thing is to do what you want and what you feel comfortable with. If you have the time then go create, if you don’t mind spending (read that as wasting) the money then buy or just ignore it and send you child in mufti clothes.
But then some might say…
Who am I to give advice, my 6 year old wore his reindeer Christmas jumper into school today. Sneaked it on under his coat. My friend Leigh and I chuckled away as our boys ran in late, messing around………