How to Self-Host your website with LCN
One of the first things you need to do when you set up a blog/website is to go self-hosted. But what does this mean?
Many bloggers use WordPress for their blogs. You can set up a free WordPress hosted website, I began with this back in 2013. I created content, maybe 10 posts before someone told me, no, stop using a WordPress hosted package. You need to be self-hosted! You then own the website and brands will want to work with you. I was already thinking monetisation back in the early months of Mrs Mummypenny.
That sage advice came from an ex colleague at EE. I had returned to work after maternity leave during which time the blog had been set up. He recommended LCN, we both live in Hertfordshire and LCN are based in Stevenage. It felt right, it was a recommendation, so I went with it.
Services I have with LCN
I use LCN to buy my domain names and to provide self-hosting on those domains where I run a website. I have: –
- mrsmummypenny.co.uk where I run my website 2 years’ business self-hosting this cost £91.80 last year.
- To buy the .co.uk domain name was £17.40 for 5 years.
- I also have a SSL certificate for co.uk which cost £30 for 1 year.
- mrsmummypenny.com with a redirect to .co.uk 5-year domain name purchase cost £48. (.com is pricier than .co.uk.)
- I also own a few other domain names for future projects.
I think these prices are incredible value for money, particularly compared to some bigger hosting partners who shall remain nameless!
What I want to rave about is the LCN customer services. I regularly have issues with my sites. A plugin might cause an issue, there be speed issues, I need to add an SSL certificate. The list goes on and on. I am not the strongest technically, so the customer services team are such a great help to me.
- They always seem to be working, I have called at 8am or 9pm and they answer the phone.
- They have a queue number system so you know when you are 2nd or 3rd in the queue. I’ve never been more than 3rd in the queue.
- The staff are all very friendly.
- They have sorted out every issue I have had even the complex technical ones.
- They set up redirects for me. They investigate plugin issues and tell me the naughty plugins.
- They sorted out recent site speed issues by moving me to a different server.
So yes, I love them as a hosting company and highly recommend them to anyone who wants to set up a website.
WordPress Hosted Packages
They have brought out an exciting new product for us WordPress users. Custom built hosting optimised for WordPress websites. This means that essential plugin and themes are already included. My friends at LCN have kindly offered readers of Mrs Mummypenny, Mums Savvy Savings and Blogging Your Way To Riches a 20% discount code. Here are the deal details.
Promotion code: newsite20
Discount: 20% off the cost of any new WordPress hosting purchase (this 20% applies to our already discounted multiyear options too)
Applies to any new purchase of a WordPress hosting package: www.lcn.com/web-hosting/wordpress
Code expires at midnight on the 30th of June 2017
So, get in quick and bag yourself a cool 20% discount.
I just did a quick check and a WordPress hosting package for 2 years for 1 website is £95.95 including VAT and the 20% discount.
Details of the Package from LCN website
We’ve trawled the web looking for the very best WordPress plugins so you don’t have to. Our WordPress hosting comes with six vital plugins, pre-installed and configured to improve performance, security and SEO.
Sync email across your computer, phone and tablet with our IMAP email service. Can’t get to your device? No problem, our free mobile-optimised webmail lets you send and receive mail through your web browser.
Choose from over 20 free premium themes professionally designed by WooThemes – each one worth up to £50! Find the perfect design for your website, install in a single click, and customise it to suit your needs.
This a collaborative/paid post. There is no affiliate commission payable to me or Emma if anyone who signs up.